LANSING — At a news conference in Lansing on Wednesday, state officials announced 30 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Michigan, bringing the total up to 110. Governor Whitmer was joined by the state’s chief medical executive, Dr. Joneigh Khladun, who spoke of the number of new cases across the state.
“As of last night, Michigan had 80 confirmed cases of COVID-19,” Khladun said. “We know that so far today, there are at least 30 additional cases of COVID-19 here in the state of Michigan and we have made more tests that are running right now.”
Khladun said these cases span at least 15 counties in Michigan, with age ranges from children to people more than 80-years-old. The majority of the positive cases are of individuals over age 60, many of whom are hospitalized and some in intensive care. Some of these individuals have had a history of travel or have been in close contact with someone with a confirmed infection.
The news came shortly after the first death related to the virus was reported in a patient more than 50-years-old with underlying conditions, at a Beaumont hospital in Wayne County. Earlier on Wednesday, the state reported a total of 15 new cases. The 30 additional cases speaks to the dramatic spread of the disease.